East-West Management Institute, Inc. (EWMI) invites applications by individuals or teams of highly qualified nationals of Azerbaijan that are currently residing in Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani think tanks for four positions of Political Economy Analysis (PEA) Senior Experts to participate in a PEA study. The assignment is expected to start on October 25, 2021, and will be completed by the end of December 2021. In-country travel will be required if the government of Azerbaijan measures to prevent the spread COVID-19 pandemic allow. Please, see the detailed scope of work for this assignment posted at ewmi.org/Employment.
Overview and background: East-West Management Institute (EWMI), in partnership with International Centre for Not-for-profit Law (ICNL) and MG Consulting is implementing the Social Engagement Support (SES) Activity, a five-year Activity funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). SES will work to strengthen local partnerships to enhance citizen participation in advancing Azerbaijan’s social and economic development while also increasing accountability and transparency in governance. At the Activity’s start, EWMI will carry out a political economy analysis (PEA) that will identify entry points and priority issues for citizens to engage with and hold decision-makers accountable that SES Activity could support. The PEA will inform the design of the Activity and support evidence-based programming and interventions, including informing SES Activity’s annual work plan. The PEA’s objective is to assist SES Activity to identify: 1. economic regions in USAID/Azerbaijan’s priority geographical areas—rural north, south, and west of the country—and the rayons within these regions where the Activity could focus its interventions; 2. socioeconomic issues of priority concern to citizens and priority interest to GoAZ institutions in the proposed regions and rayons, analyzed with gender and youth and social inclusion lens, that the Activity’s planned interventions could contribute to; 3. opportunities in the identified region and rayons for interventions to achieve the Activity’s goal of strengthening local partnerships to enhance citizen participation in advancing Azerbaijan’s social and economic development while also increasing accountability and transparency in governance; and 4. key actors in the public, civil society, and private sectors in the proposed regions and rayons or that have an impact on socio-economic development in these regions/rayons, that could be open to cooperate with the Activity.
Overall Responsibilities: The four Azerbaijan-based Political Economy Analysis Experts will assist in conducting the following main activities: 1) Contribute to the draft PEA methodology and data collection tools; 2) Contribute to the development of the agenda and participate in PEA’s Inception Workshop; 3) Assist in finalization of PEA methodology and data collection tools that address EWMI feedback; 4) Carry out PEA data collection and analysis.
- Advanced university degree (master’s or doctorate) in social sciences, international development, law, political science, economics, or a related field;
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in conducting high quality in-depth political economy analysis or similar analysis for public, private, and research institutions, or/and civil society organizations;
- Demonstrated experience with a range of research approaches that support and/or complement PEA, including qualitative and quantitative research;
- Experience in conducting interviews, focus groups and desk research analysis;
- Awareness of the gender and social inclusion approaches in research;
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of the political, social, and economic context in Azerbaijan;
- Demonstrated experience in conducting research and analysis on socioeconomic development in the regions of Azerbaijan, private sector engagement for socioeconomic development, and mechanisms for public participation in governance;
- Understanding of international development programs that operate in the country;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Azerbaijani and English.
For questions: Please, submit your questions in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 14, 2021, and EWMI will respond via e-mail.
To apply: Interested experts should submit in English: (i) a curriculum vitae, (ii) cover letter, (iii) contact information for three references, (iv) a copy of a PEA or other development research report that you have led/prepared; and (v) an estimated budget for their proposed engagement, as individuals or as a team, based on the scope of work for this assignment. Submit these documents by the end of the day on Monday, October 18, 2021, to: email@example.com and include “Political Economy Analysis Local Expert/s” in the subject line. No phone calls please. EWMI will contact applicants for interviews or to request additional information.